I’ve had to revise the renal biopsy complication rates that I’m quoting my patients after reading this review.
– Technically, complications occur in 7.4% to 19.5% of patients. These mostly consist of self-limiting macroscopic hematuria or a peri-renal, or subcapsular, hematoma
– AV fistulae occur in as many as 15%, but are usually self-limiting.
– Embolization of a bleeding vessel in needed in 1.5%
– Surgery is required in 0.1 to 0.4%
– Nephrectomy is necessary in 0.06%
– Surprisingly, it seems 33% of complications occur >8 hours post procedure. This is jars with my own experience, as I’ve mainly worked in institutions that practice day-case biopsies without difficulty.