What is NephMadness?
NephMadness is an educational game played out across social media, modeled after the US college basketball tournament March Madness. Instead of basketball teams, 32 topics in 8 categories in nephrology are pitted against each other. Winners are chosen by a Blue Ribbon Panel of experts. Participants submit their picks and brackets starting March 1st. After the bracket submission period ends on March 31st, the saturated 16, effluent 8, filtered 4, and ultimately NephMadness champion will be sequentially revealed. The NephMadness champion will be crowned on April 9th.
2. How do I decide who wins in my bracket?
Read the “Scouting Report” posts on AJKD blog on each topic written by experts in the field that are an in-depth, referenced review of the topics. Then, decide which topic you think should move on to the next round. Still can’t decide? Flip a coin or try to predict how the Blue Ribbon Panel might vote. Take a look at our bracket above and how we got to our champion, Flu Vaccine. This years challengers are:
Here are the 8 main nephrology topics (REGIONS) with 4 subtopics (TEAMS) in the tournament.
- Anemia: Nupur Gupta @nupur_nephron | Arun Rajasekaran @Nephronpower
- Animal House: Kelly Hyndman @DrKeeksPhD | Tiffany Truong @CRRTiff
- Artificial Kidney: Bill Fissell @fisselliv | Krishna Agarwal @KrishnaAdit
- COVID-19: Maria Jose Soler @PepaSolerR | Debbie Chen @dc_chen | Christin Giordano @CGiordano1225
- ICU Nephrology: Ashita Tolwani @luck_urine | Ryann Sohaney @RyannSohaney
- Liquid Biopsy: Florian Buchkremer @swissnephro | Caitlyn Vlasschaert @DrFlashHeart
- Primary Care: Clarissa Diamantidis @cjdiamantidis | Racquel Holmes @RacquelbelleMD
- Workforce: Yusra Cheema @YusraCheema1 | Bethany Roehm @bethany_roehm
3. What do I do after I submit my bracket?
Get involved in the conversation on Twitter and follow the hashtag #NephMadness. Support your picks, share your thoughts, and learn something! Not happy with how the Blue Ribbon Panel voted? Try the hashtag #BlueRibbonFail.
4. Are there prizes?
Yes! Prizes will be award to those with the highest individual and group score as well as the highest scoring medical student, resident, fellow and best NephMadness Party.
5. Can I submit multiple brackets?
Yes! For example, you may submit an individual bracket and one with your fellowship program (and then another if you want!)
Ready to play? Register and start filling out your bracket! You’ll have until March 31st 2020 to finalize and submit your picks. Who’s your champion?
See you out on the “court”!