Nephmadness is here!! Submit your 2023 Nephmadness picks here. We will review some Nephmadness basics below and reveal our picks for this year.
1. What is Nephmadness?
Nephmadness is an educational game played out across social media, modeled after the US college basketball tournament March Madness. Instead of basketball teams, 16 topics in 8 categories in nephrology are pitted against each other. Winners are chosen by a Blue Ribbon Panel of experts. Participants submit their picks and brackets starting March 1st. After the bracket submission period ends on March 31st, the effluent 8, filtered 4 and ultimately the Nephmadness champion will be revealed. The Nephmadness champion will be crowned on April 10th.
2. How do I decide who wins in my bracket?
Read the “Scouting Report” posts on AJKD blog on each topic written by experts in the field that are an in-depth, referenced review of the topics. Then, decide which topic you think should move onto the next round. Still can’t decide? Flip a coin, talk with a friend or try to predict how the Blue Ribbon Panel might vote. Take a look at our bracket above and how we got to our champion Gender Affirming Care. This years challengers are:
Here are the 8 main nephrology topics (REGIONS!) with 4 subtopics (TEAMS) in the tournament.
- Access to Kidney Transplantation: Vineeta Kumar @VineetaKumar8 | Margaret DeOliveira @MargaretD128 | Jeffrey Kott @jrkott27
- Heart Failure Devices: Nisha Bansal @NishaKidneyDoc | Jen Bergeron @DrJennyBee | Jefferson Triozzi @nepherson
- Thrombotic Microangiopathy: Anuja Java @anuja_java | Viralkumar Amrutiya @viral_nephro | Nouman Akbar @AkbarNouman
- IGA Nephropathy: Dana Rizk @DanaRizk1 | Dana Larsen @dana_m_larsen
- Mineralocorticoid Receptor Antagonists: Matt Luther @DrJMLuther | Micah Schub @AcidBassMD
- Onconephrology: Matthew Abramson @M_Abramson | Morgan Schoer | Scott Stockholm
- Transgender Health: Mitchell R. Lunn @MitchellLunn | Sehrish Ali @sehrish_alii
- Transitions of Care: Rasheeda Hall @Rasheeda_HallMD | Alissar El Chediak @alissar_chediak
3. What do I do after I submit my bracket?
Get involved in the conversation on Twitter and follow the hashtag #Nephmadness! Support your picks, share your thoughts, and learn something! Not happy with how the Blue Ribbon Panel voted? Try the hashtag #BlueRibbonFail.
4. Are there prizes?
Yes! Prizes will be awarded to those with the highest individual and group score as well as the highest scoring medical student, resident, fellow and best NephMadness Party!
5. Can I submit multiple brackets?
Yes! For example, you may submit an individual bracket and one with your fellowship program (and then another if you want!)
Ready to play? Register and start filling out your bracket! You will have until March 31st 2023 to finalize and submit your picks. Who is your champion?
See you on the “court”!